Tory MP resigns over Boris Johnson's coronavirus approach
The New European
- Credit: PA
A Conservative MP has resigned as a ministerial aide over coronavirus restrictions, saying the “attempted cure is worse than the disease”.
Chris Green, who represents Bolton West, said the Greater Manchester lockdown had “failed to control the number of positive tests” within his borough.
In a letter to prime minister, Green said he was resigning as a parliamentary private secretary to Baroness Evans, the leader of the House of Lords, because he believed there were “better alternatives to the government’s approach”.
He wrote: “During the lockdown period, in comparison to last year, Bolton has seen 20,000 fewer GP referrals to hospital, whilst many other people have not accessed vital treatment because they have been too frightened to do so.
“By taking the current approach to Covid-19 we are creating many other health problems, which are leading to pain, suffering and death.
You may also want to watch:
“The closure of pubs, restaurants and cafes combined with the reduction of footfall on our high streets has brought many family-owned businesses in my constituency to the brink of collapse and pushed others over the edge.”
Green continued: “The damage done to physical and mental health as well as to livelihoods and businesses would be justified if the threat from Covid-19 was as first suggested.
- 1 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 2 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 3 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 4 Alan Duncan should have spoken out sooner about Boris Johnson
- 5 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 6 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 7 Ulster Unionism's crisis of faith
- 8 EU president faces fresh calls to resign over 'disastrous' Covid vaccine programme
- 9 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 10 Prosecution threat for Tories' co-chairman
“I know that this novel pandemic virus posed a serious but little understood threat, but we have learnt so much since it first emerged.
“I now believe that the attempted cure is worse than the disease and that this second six-month phase will not see the delivery of a solution via mass vaccination. The government will then begin its next phase of control.
“There is a healthy debate on how we can eliminate this coronavirus or how we can live with it and this is being led by many distinguished academics, epidemiologists and other specialists.
“I believe that there are better alternatives to the government’s approach, so I therefore tender my resignation.”
Green was elected MP for Bolton West in 2015.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.