EU MEP predicts UK will rejoin after poll shows support for bloc
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A leading figure in the European Parliament has predicted that the UK will rejoin the EU, claiming it will return "where it belongs".
Guy Verhofstadt made the claim after polling showed that support for the European Union within the UK had reached a record-high - days before the end of the transition period.
Verhofstadt lead the parliament's Brexit negotiations until 2020 and sits on the working group for the Conference on the Future of Europe.
The Belgian MEP tweeted: "As I have always said, one day a politician will bring Britain back home to where it belongs - at the centre of our common European destiny!"
Arthur Smith replied: "I sincerely hope I live long enough to see that, meantime we have some work to do to dump the Conservative party government in the next few years before they do any more damage."
Helen Salmon wrote: "So many of us here in Britain want this. Thank you for giving us hope."
You may also want to watch:
Andra Parnall tweeted: "I sincerely hope that person is already born, and if not already an active politician, will enter politics soon and rise rapidly to that position that will see your and my dream come true."
Michael Goulden commented: "We will return to the heart of Europe with our European brothers and sisters. The insanity of Brexit will be exposed for the con trick that it always was. It might take a while though, but I’m optimistic and hopeful."
- 1 Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- 2 'The irony': Iain Duncan Smith mocked following 'honesty with the public' remark about Rishi Sunak
- 3 Commons speaker delivers blistering attack on government following leak of latest lockdown information
- 4 Transport boss calls government's handling of Brexit border proceedings a 'complete shambles'
- 5 British actors barred from applying for role of young Prince William due to Brexit
- 6 Brexiteer Claire Fox defends public sector pay freeze saying workers are 'not the only heroes'
- 7 The Remainers who haven't been paying attention
- 8 Nine best tweets trolling Nigel Farage over anti-lockdown post
- 9 Rishi Sunak fails to declare family's wealth in ministerial register, probe finds
- 10 Joe Biden could scrap US-UK travel corridor in favour of one with Ireland
Colin Morrison, however, predicted that "it'll return, piecemeal, diminished and chastened, junior partners in a union they used to be a major player in."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.