12 of the best responses to the Daily Express 'freedom' front
- Credit: Twitter
Pro-Brexit newspaper the Daily Express has been criticised for its front cover claiming that the EU has not understood its demands.
In a sorry-sounding front page, the Leave-backing newspaper claims: "All we ever wanted was our freedom!"
The headline comes as prime minister Boris Johnson told cabinet ministers to prepare for no-deal Brexit as talks with the EU continue to falter.
But many pro-Europeans were quick to point out that the UK already had "freedom" in the first place.
Dan Ogunshakin also questioned the tone. He tweeted: "That's a rather sorry headline. Has even the Express realised that Brexit it is an atrocious idea?"
Remainer Judith Poser, however, responded: "All we ever wanted was to Remain, to retain Freedom of Movement and to keep our European citizenship. We were always free."
Here are 12 of the best responses...
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 5 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Scottish fishing boats ditch UK waters for Denmark to escape Brexit red tape
- 8 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
- 9 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 10 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.