Patients rejecting Pfizer Covid vaccine to wait for ‘English’ jab, says doctor
- Credit: PA
A high-profile doctor has said patients turned down the chance to have the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine, saying they would “wait for the English one”.
Paul Williams, former Labour MP for Stockton South, said it shows nationalism has consequences, given they were delaying having a jab at the height of the pandemic.
The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was made available to patients at the start of December, while the Oxford/AstraZeneca version was authorised on December 30.
Dr Williams was a GP before turning to politics, continued to see patients while he was an MP to maintain a link with them, and since he was voted out in 2019 has worked on the NHS’s fight against Covid-19.
Writing on Twitter, he said: “Some local patients have turned down an offer this weekend of getting a Covid vaccine when they found out it was the Pfizer one. ‘I’ll wait for the English one’.
You may also want to watch:
“People at risk of death in the depths of a pandemic. A lesson that Nationalism has consequences.”
Dr Williams was made an OBE in the New Year Honours list for his services to Parliament and healthcare.
- 1 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 2 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 3 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 4 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 5 Alan Duncan should have spoken out sooner about Boris Johnson
- 6 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 7 Ulster Unionism's crisis of faith
- 8 EU president faces fresh calls to resign over 'disastrous' Covid vaccine programme
- 9 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 10 Prosecution threat for Tories' co-chairman
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.