Twitter brands Donald Trump tweet 'potentially misleading' as president contests US election results
- Credit: PA
Twitter has slapped a warning on a tweet by Donald Trump suggesting the elections was being "stolen" from him.
The social media organisation said it had placed a warning on Trump’s tweet “for making a potentially misleading claim about an election”.
“This action is in line with our Civic Integrity Policy,” the firm’s @TwitterSafety account said.
The caution came after Trump suggested his opponents were "trying to STEAL the election" after news emerged his Democrat rival Joe Biden was set to address crowds in his home state of Delaware about the count.
The US president tweeted: "We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!"
In his speech, Biden urged people to be "patient" as the count continued.
You may also want to watch:
He told a crowd of supporters in Delaware: "We can know the results as early as tomorrow morning but it may take a little longer. As I’ve said all along, it’s not my place or Donald Trump’s place to declare who’s won this election, that’s the decision of the American people.
“But I’m optimistic about this outcome and I want to thank every one of you who came out and voted in this election.”
- 1 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 2 Major disaster: How Tories' 1992 victory sowed seeds of Brexit
- 3 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 4 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 5 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 6 The 40 best European TV shows to stream
- 7 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
- 8 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 9 The fight against the homogenisation of the British Isles
- 10 English to be temporarily replaced by French as EU's 'working language' in 2022
He closed his speech with: “Keep the faith guys, we’re going to win this.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.