Labour MP says she's never seen a Tory MP wear a mask in votes
- Credit: PA
A Labour MP has said that Tory MPs are guilty of following tactics of Donald Trump after she claimed to have never seen any of the politicians wearing face masks during votes in the House of Commons.
Emily Thornberry, the shadow international trade secretary, said that "so many rules don't seem to apply in parliament" as she criticised a report that points out the 10pm curfew does not apply to Commons bars.
She claimed the ruling Conservative Party were being "so irresponsible" - especially when it came to wearing masks in crowded places inside.
Thornberry tweeted: "So many rules don't seem to apply in parliament - its so irresponsible. During votes, whilst increasing numbers of opposition MPs are wearing masks, I've yet to see a Tory wearing one.
"And their attitude to social distancing is positively Trumpian".
Thornberry's comments echoed another Labour MP who told the Mail Online in July: "It is worse than that when the cameras aren't there. If they are saying you have got to have it in shops, it's difficult when you are having votes...
"When you have a vote when everyone is queuing up, you would have them then."
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 5 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 6 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 7 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 8 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 9 The Tory MPs who failed to vote against a Universal Credit cut
- 10 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
At the time Commons leader Jacob Rees-Mogg was said to have been "absolutely" open to the idea of wearing masks where needed.