Dominic Raab self-isolates after coming into contact with someone Covid-19 positive
- Credit: HOC/JESSICA TAYLOR
Foreign secretary Dominic Raab is isolating after coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus.
Raab will work remotely during 14 days of isolation after being told of a recent close contact’s positive test on Thursday, a spokesman for the cabinet minister said.
It follows Brandon Lewis last week having to self-isolate too after being seen flouting coronavirus rules.
The UK is entering a difficult phase in its relationship with the US after Donald Trump plunged the nation into crisis by falsely claiming victory and mounting legal challenges.
Not only have there been calls to criticise the president’s behaviour, but Britain is under pressure to improve relations with Joe Biden, the Democratic challenger who is favourite to lead the White House.
Raab’s spokesman said: “The foreign secretary was today informed that an individual with whom he has been in recent close contact with has tested positive for coronavirus.
You may also want to watch:
“In line with government regulations and NHS track and trace rules, the foreign secretary has taken immediate steps to self-isolate for the required period. He will continue to work remotely during this time.”
The foreign secretary, along with prime minister Boris Johnson, has refused to criticise the Republican leader for claiming there is a “fraud on the American nation” and saying he would use the US Supreme Court to get vote counting stopped.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 4 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 5 Why everyone in rents in Germany
- 6 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 7 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 8 Plan for White House-style briefings axed despite £2.6m spend on media room
- 9 How will you vote in the upcoming elections?
- 10 Johnny Mercer 'sacked' by No 10 after speculation he intended to resign
He insisted he would not get “sucked in” to the debate around Trump’s actions, which have been widely criticised as threatening democracy itself.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.