Boris Johnson needs Brexit deal to guarantee vaccine distribution, warns Gordon Brown
- Credit: ITV
Former prime minister Gordon Brown has warned that Boris Johnson needs to secure a Brexit deal with the EU to guarantee distribution of a coronavirus vaccine.
Brown pointed out that the Pfizer vaccine, in particular, requires distribution links with Belgium, where its manufacturing site is based.
He said that Britain without a deal with the EU will end up at "war" with both America and Europe, which puts at risk its plans for a vaccine roll-out.
He told Good Morning Britain: "This was a problem we expected with the flu vaccine if we had a no deal.
"Because so much of our medical equipment and our medical supplies actually do come from mainland Europe.
You may also want to watch:
"Just like so much of our food comes from mainland Europe.
"So it's really important that we don't have a no deal."
- 1 Rishi Sunak fails to declare family's wealth in ministerial register, probe finds
- 2 The Remainers who haven't been paying attention
- 3 Joe Biden could scrap US-UK travel corridor in favour of one with Ireland
- 4 British actors barred from applying for role of young Prince William due to Brexit
- 5 Nine best tweets trolling Nigel Farage over anti-lockdown post
- 6 Commons speaker delivers blistering attack on government following leak of latest lockdown information
- 7 Transport boss calls government's handling of Brexit border proceedings a 'complete shambles'
- 8 Brexiteer Claire Fox defends public sector pay freeze saying workers are 'not the only heroes'
- 9 Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- 10 'The irony': Iain Duncan Smith mocked following 'honesty with the public' remark about Rishi Sunak
He continued: "It's really important because if he doesn't have a deal then he's going to be at war with Europe and at war with America.
"President Biden has made it very clear that he won't tolerate an American trade deal with Britain if we break the Good Friday Agreement.
"So there's a lot at stake and I hope we can get an agreement soon.
"We really don't want the chaos of not having a deal by Christmas."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.