Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- Credit: PA
Brexiteer MP John Redwood has been ridiculed after calling for the free movement of goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
In a tweet directed at the government, Redwood said it "needs to take urgent action to ensure free movement of goods between Northern Ireland and GB".
The Tory backbencher added: "We voted to take control of our own laws,taxes, borders and trade rules for the whole U.K. Let’s get on with it."
Redwood has previously called for a ban on foreign trawlers in UK waters and said Britons should to "grow more at home" to cut down food imports from the EU.
The Brexiteer's concerns come as hauliers spend tens of thousands of pounds bringing empty lorries to Northern Ireland.
Seamus Leheny, of Logistics NI, said exports of goods from Northern Ireland to Great Britain are doing well, however, less is coming back across the Irish Sea as suppliers are faced with new customs demands.
You may also want to watch:
Redwood's tweet received some stick online.
Steve Gill responded: "Easiest way to achieve that, without breaking international agreements, like the Good Friday Agreement, would be to join the EU Customs Union and Single Market. Would have hugely beneficial immediate effects on all UK business sectors including fishing."
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 3 Television drama to focus on Boris Johnson's first year in Downing Street
- 4 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 5 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 6 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 7 Michael Gove among 14 Tory MPs revealed to have joined banned Parler app
- 8 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 9 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 10 UK has highest Covid-19 death rate in world
@Sudden_Stars added: "In other news, a man who bricked up his windows to prevent people looking in is now upset that he's not able to look out."
Labour MP Neil Coyle launched a more personal attack, writing: "He called for this. He voted for this. He still doesn’t understand this. He is responsible for this mess."
Twitter group Leeds for Europe were a bit more cheerful.
"Brexit ends the free movement of goods and people," they wrote. "That’s the whole point. Are you now saying you want to reverse #Brexit? If so, welcome on board. That’s our plan."
@SpanishDan1 highlighted: "You do know that you put a border in the Irish Sea and carved off Northern Ireland in readiness for a United Ireland, yes? Even though most Tories deny this truth."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.