Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- Credit: PA
A Brexiteer MP has been ridiculed over tweets he made about Project Fear and the fall in car sales across Britain.
John Redwood has become the centre of a Twitter trend after suggesting that plummeting car sales in the UK had nothing to do with Brexit.
Redwood's comment comes amid speculation that Nissan's Sunderland car plant faces closure, a claim the manufacturer has denied.
In what appeared to be a fit of rage on Twitter, Redwood wrote: "Project Fear never gives up over Brexit. If they are so concerned about the UK car industry why have they been so quiet over the collapse of petrol and diesel car sales this year? It took place whilst we were still in the single market and customs union."
The backbencher's message prompted a speedy response from other users.
You may also want to watch:
Times columnist Alex Massie quipped: "If only there was some way of working out why people might not have rushed to buy a car this year, eh?"
John O'Shea, a Labour councillor in Birmingham, remarked: "John Redwood. As sound an economic analyst as he is a choral singer."
- 1 A lesson from the last of Mainwaring's men
- 2 Tory anger as Labour to hold vote on establishing committee to investigate cronyism
- 3 Nick Clegg says EU 'let itself and millions of Europeans' down over Covid vaccine programme
- 4 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 5 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 6 Scathing report accuses Boris Johnson of 'only caring for England'
- 7 European Council president faces call to resign over 'Sofagate' incident
- 8 Boris Johnson's government 'doesn't think it has to be aide by rules', says former civil servant
- 9 Exports to EU increase in February after record fall
- 10 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
James Gilroy followed up with: "These Brexiteers are the gift that keeps on giving."
Mike Holden hilariously pointed out: "Never let it be said that Brexiters are thick as mince again. Mince this thick would still count as 'a cow'."
Robyn said: "Could someone please reboot @johnredwood he seems to be stuck in a loop."
Law professor Paul Bernal added: "Jeez, John, you might have noticed we’ve had a pandemic since the Spring. Are you really this dense, or is it an act?"
He continued: "Seriously, it’s a crowded field, but I think @johnredwood might be the stupidest Brexiter."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.