Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- Credit: PA
A Brexiteer MP has been ridiculed over tweets he made about Project Fear and the fall in car sales across Britain.
John Redwood has become the centre of a Twitter trend after suggesting that plummeting car sales in the UK had nothing to do with Brexit.
Redwood's comment comes amid speculation that Nissan's Sunderland car plant faces closure, a claim the manufacturer has denied.
In what appeared to be a fit of rage on Twitter, Redwood wrote: "Project Fear never gives up over Brexit. If they are so concerned about the UK car industry why have they been so quiet over the collapse of petrol and diesel car sales this year? It took place whilst we were still in the single market and customs union."
The backbencher's message prompted a speedy response from other users.
You may also want to watch:
Times columnist Alex Massie quipped: "If only there was some way of working out why people might not have rushed to buy a car this year, eh?"
John O'Shea, a Labour councillor in Birmingham, remarked: "John Redwood. As sound an economic analyst as he is a choral singer."
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 3 Television drama to focus on Boris Johnson's first year in Downing Street
- 4 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 5 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 6 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 7 Michael Gove among 14 Tory MPs revealed to have joined banned Parler app
- 8 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 9 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 10 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
James Gilroy followed up with: "These Brexiteers are the gift that keeps on giving."
Mike Holden hilariously pointed out: "Never let it be said that Brexiters are thick as mince again. Mince this thick would still count as 'a cow'."
Robyn said: "Could someone please reboot @johnredwood he seems to be stuck in a loop."
Law professor Paul Bernal added: "Jeez, John, you might have noticed we’ve had a pandemic since the Spring. Are you really this dense, or is it an act?"
He continued: "Seriously, it’s a crowded field, but I think @johnredwood might be the stupidest Brexiter."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.