Tory backbencher told he's 'living in cloud cuckoo land' over back-to-school plan
- Credit: BBC
A Tory backbencher has been accused of "living in cloud cuckoo land" after suggesting schools might reopen by the end of February.
Labour's Chris Byrant accused Tom Hunt MP of ignoring the fact that there were not enough vaccines in circulation to inoculate teachers before the end of April.
Speaking on Politics Live, Hunt said: "I don't think we should be waiting for the second dose. I think we do know that one dose provides a significant amount of protection and I think the damage from school closures are such that I think we can get the first dose done."
Bryant cut in: "Tom, I think you're misunderstanding me about the second dose. The priority lot - the people who are getting done now are getting their second dose on the 10th and 11th of April, so, you're not even going to finish the first four priority lots without a second dose, which they have to have otherwise we've wasted all our time and effort on this, until the middle of April.
"So, if you're waiting to open schools for vaccinations to start for teachers, schools are not going to be opening up at all until May.
"We've got to have a much better strategy about re-opening schools."
Hunt replied: "We know that once the priority groups are covered, we do know there's likely to be a discussion about any groups that might need to be prioritised; and I think teachers will be at the top of that list.
- 1 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 2 British fisherman expresses regret over Brexit vote on Danish TV
- 3 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 4 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 5 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 6 Priti Patel plan to deport EU rough sleepers from UK branded ‘inhumane’ by charity
- 7 Why everybody rents in Germany
- 8 James Dyson moves main address back to the UK
- 9 Academics urge No 10 to 'rethink' refusal to grant EU ambassador in London full diplomatic status
- 10 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
"And I feel confident that we can get to a place where all teaching staff are vaccinated before the end of February and I think that once we're in that place, we should be looking to get schools reopened again.
Bryant, visibly aghast, responds: "You're in cloud cuckoo land, you're in cloud cuckoo land."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.