Keir Starmer tells Boris Johnson to deliver 'oven-ready deal' he promised
The New European
- Credit: Stefan Rousseau/PA.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has called on Boris Johnson to deliver the “oven-ready” Brexit deal he had promised.
Sir Keir told the BBC’s Politics Wales show the UK gGovernment should sit down and talk to the EU about differences on fishing quotas and state aid.
“I think it is very important that the remaining issues are negotiated, and we get an agreement. We need to, the clock is ticking,” he said.
“We need this agreement in the national interest. The prime minister said he had an oven-ready deal. He should get on and deliver that.”
Asked whether the UK government should “compromise” on fishing and state aid, Sir Keir Starmer replied: “Negotiation is all about compromise. Its reaching agreement on things that the parties didn’t agree on at the start of the process.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t think it is impossible to reach agreement on state aid and fisheries and both parties should get around the table and resolve those outstanding issues.”
Asked whether he was calling for “flexibility” from the UK government, Sir Keir said: “Of course I am.
- 1 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Rabbits defeat French army
- 4 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 5 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
“These are negotiations, there has to be flexibility. If there isn’t flexibility there won’t be an agreement.
“What I am saying is get back round the table, these issues can be resolved, a deal is in the national interest.
“The prime minister said he had an oven-ready deal, get on and deliver it.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.