Keir Starmer tells Boris Johnson to deliver 'oven-ready deal' he promised
The New European
- Credit: Stefan Rousseau/PA.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has called on Boris Johnson to deliver the “oven-ready” Brexit deal he had promised.
Sir Keir told the BBC’s Politics Wales show the UK gGovernment should sit down and talk to the EU about differences on fishing quotas and state aid.
“I think it is very important that the remaining issues are negotiated, and we get an agreement. We need to, the clock is ticking,” he said.
“We need this agreement in the national interest. The prime minister said he had an oven-ready deal. He should get on and deliver that.”
Asked whether the UK government should “compromise” on fishing and state aid, Sir Keir Starmer replied: “Negotiation is all about compromise. Its reaching agreement on things that the parties didn’t agree on at the start of the process.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t think it is impossible to reach agreement on state aid and fisheries and both parties should get around the table and resolve those outstanding issues.”
Asked whether he was calling for “flexibility” from the UK government, Sir Keir said: “Of course I am.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 6 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 7 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 8 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 9 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 10 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
“These are negotiations, there has to be flexibility. If there isn’t flexibility there won’t be an agreement.
“What I am saying is get back round the table, these issues can be resolved, a deal is in the national interest.
“The prime minister said he had an oven-ready deal, get on and deliver it.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.