Liz Truss in Commons gaffe after saying Brexit deals will 'undermine' British farmers
- Credit: Parliamentlive.tv
Liz Truss has accidentally announced that new post-Brexit trade deals will "undermine" British farmers during a debate in the Commons.
The international trade secretary was answering a question on whether a new trade deal with the US would severely impact British pig famers.
Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry asked: "Can [Truss] please tell us which law prevents the import of pork that has been produced on American farms that continue to use sow stalls."
Truss said: "As the honourably lady said, it is an issue of animal welfare and as I've said before, we will not allow the high animal welfare standards of our pig producers to be undermined."
When confronted with the same question and asked if US pork imports threaten British farmers, Truss replied: "I’ve said, of course, in any trade deal we strike we will taking into account our high standards to make sure our farmers are undermined."
The international trade secretary continued on unaware of her slip of the tongue, accusing Labour of trying to stop farmers in developing countries importing food into Britain.
Sow stalls are a metal enclosure with no bedding material used for breeding pigs and are used on US farms.
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 4 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 5 Rabbits defeat French army
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 8 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 9 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
They are banned in the UK and Sweden, and in nine states in the US.
On Twitter, one user, by the name of Just Alex wrote, wrote: "You have to hand it to her, she is good at this."
Dave posted: "Classic Freudian slip reveals what was on her mind."
@TheBrexit_Daily added: "Liz Truss accidentally tells the truth about the consequences of #Brexit."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.