Miriam Margolyes' blunt assessment of Boris Johnson and Donald Trump wins her fans
- Credit: Twitter
Miriam Margolyes' blunt assessment of Donald Trump and Boris Johnson has won her a heap of praise online.
The British actor said the US president was an "a*****e" and the British prime minister a "clown".
Asked for her reaction to recent events in the US during an appearance on Good Morning Britain, Margolyes said: "Like anybody else, I'm astonished and disgusted.
"I know it's morning television and I know I need to be careful what I say about that man - let's say it ends with 'hole' and starts with 'a'.
"He is a dangerous man. He is a fascist. I think it looked like that from the beginning.
"I long to see the back of him."
Margolyes went on to say many Trump supporters "needed to be smacked" and took time to berate Boris Johnson and anti-vaxxers.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 5 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 6 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 7 New research reveals half of Brexit supporters were not 'left behind' red-wall voters
- 8 Welsh government refused permission for legal challenge over post-Brexit bill
- 9 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 10 Annalena Baerbock: Can the Queen of Green seize the Bundestag?
"Of course one must have the vaccine," she told co-host Susanna Reid: "Those anti-vaxxers are nuts. They need their heads seen to."
She continued: "I’m hoping that I get a vaccine as soon as possible. I’ll be 80 in May and I may be able to have it in Italy before I come [back], but I’m not coming to England until it’s safe to go.
"You’ve got that clown in charge there that I didn’t vote for, and I’m holding him responsible."
The actor's comments were showered with praise on Twitter.
"Miriam Margolyes is a bloody national treasure of Attenborough proportions," said @MrBaylissGeo.
"We all need a 'jab in the arm' of this lady," claimed @MrsAitchBee.
Melica Edwards posted: "Best Interview in a long time and totally on point! Miriam for PM please."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.