Health minister criticised for telling people to 'eat less' to protect themselves from Covid-19
- Credit: Parliament TV
A health minister has been criticised for telling people to "eat less" and "move more" to protect themselves from Covid-19.
Nadine Dorries tweeted a Mail Online story from a former medical tsar who claims that the obesity crisis led to Britain having the highest death coronavirus toll in Europe.
She wrote: "No doubt that there is a direct correlation between obesity and a high mortality Covid rate. We are one of the most obese nations in Europe. Eat less move more."
But her comments were seen as a deflection of government responsibility for the 50,000 deaths in the UK during the crisis, while others accused her of "blaming the dead".
Twitter user @JaneRemain replied: "Actually, a good way to combat the high covid mortality rate is to not get it in the first place. But, of course, that involves a competent govt. Instead the advice we get: beat covid by [checking] eating less and moving more. Great. Just f**king great."
You may also want to watch:
Aleesha Khaliq commented: "It’s truly grotesque to be blaming dead people for dying from coronavirus because of their weight. Are you passing the accountability?"
"Blame the public again Nadine!" said @Lynn_GT. "How many of those 50,000 were obese? And how many of those would still be alive if the government had got their act together and led by example?"
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 4 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 5 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 6 Why everyone in rents in Germany
- 7 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 8 How will you vote in the upcoming elections?
- 9 Plan for White House-style briefings axed despite £2.6m spend on media room
- 10 Boris Johnson challenged over 'honesty and integrity' of Jennifer Arcuri claims
"Blaming the dead is right up there with not feeding hungry children," claimed @FeeshKeeng. "The nasty party have kicked it into high gear."
Will Austin wrote: "I can't keep up. A few weeks back you were paying us to eat more. On the other hand, you did also have that big vote to starve school kids."
Steve Bray, meanwhile, said: "No doubt there is a direct correlation between a lying incompetent Conservative government & a high mortality Covid rate. We are one of the most gullible nations in Europe. Pay less tax, protest more."
Another asked: "So why are gyms shut, Nadine?!"
Lucy Robinson remarked: "The minister for mental health encouraging an 'eat less move more' mentality when calls to eating disorder helplines have increased 97% since March is super helpful and not dangerous at all".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.