Nigel Farage reminded of poor fisheries record as MEP after slamming Boris Johnson's potential Brexit deal climbdown
- Credit: Archant
Nigel Farage has been reminded of his poor record of attending fisheries meetings as an MEP after slamming Boris Johnson's potential Brexit deal climbdown.
The Brexit Party leader was criticised for a tweet he made slamming news of a potential compromise over fishing rights in UK waters, which has been a stumbling block in trade talks.
Responding to news of a potential climbdown, Farage tweeted: "We hear a deal on fishing has been agreed in Brussels... Has Boris blinked?"
Steve Bray, founder of Stand of Defiance European Movement, rapidly responded: "You were the fisheries MEP, didn't attend once in 4 years. You failed to represent the fisherman then. Why the interest now?"
As a member of the European parliament's fisheries committee for several years, Farage only attended one out of 42 meetings.
You may also want to watch:
During an interview on LBC radio in 2019, Farage called the committee "pointless" because it had no legal or legislative role and because the UK was leaving the EU.
Twitter users stepped up their attacks. John Abbott wrote: "The bloke who missed pretty much every Fisheries Committee meeting is suddenly interested in fishing."
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 5 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
- 8 Scottish fishing boats ditch UK waters for Denmark to escape Brexit red tape
- 9 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where the speaker finally snapped
Veronica M said: "C'mon man! Course he has - we all knew he would anyway."
Mark C quipped: "What would you know about fishing deals? You never turned up."
@B58Gradda wrote: "Serious question - if you are genuinely interested in our Fishing Communities how come all the years you where an MEP on the Fisheries Committee and could have done something you never attended the committee meets?"
Leon Hargreaves added: "Nigel seems to get his information from the crazy people who hang around on street corners."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.