Nigel Farage reminded of poor fisheries record as MEP after slamming Boris Johnson's potential Brexit deal climbdown
- Credit: Archant
Nigel Farage has been reminded of his poor record of attending fisheries meetings as an MEP after slamming Boris Johnson's potential Brexit deal climbdown.
The Brexit Party leader was criticised for a tweet he made slamming news of a potential compromise over fishing rights in UK waters, which has been a stumbling block in trade talks.
Responding to news of a potential climbdown, Farage tweeted: "We hear a deal on fishing has been agreed in Brussels... Has Boris blinked?"
Steve Bray, founder of Stand of Defiance European Movement, rapidly responded: "You were the fisheries MEP, didn't attend once in 4 years. You failed to represent the fisherman then. Why the interest now?"
As a member of the European parliament's fisheries committee for several years, Farage only attended one out of 42 meetings.
You may also want to watch:
During an interview on LBC radio in 2019, Farage called the committee "pointless" because it had no legal or legislative role and because the UK was leaving the EU.
Twitter users stepped up their attacks. John Abbott wrote: "The bloke who missed pretty much every Fisheries Committee meeting is suddenly interested in fishing."
- 1 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 2 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 3 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 4 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 5 The deep-seated issues beneath Sofagate
- 6 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 7 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 8 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 9 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 10 Alan Duncan should have spoken out sooner about Boris Johnson
Veronica M said: "C'mon man! Course he has - we all knew he would anyway."
Mark C quipped: "What would you know about fishing deals? You never turned up."
@B58Gradda wrote: "Serious question - if you are genuinely interested in our Fishing Communities how come all the years you where an MEP on the Fisheries Committee and could have done something you never attended the committee meets?"
Leon Hargreaves added: "Nigel seems to get his information from the crazy people who hang around on street corners."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.