Forcing an employee to have Covid vaccine is ‘discriminatory’, says No 10
- Credit: PA
Forcing an employee to have a coronavirus vaccine in order to keep their job would be “discriminatory”, Downing Street has said.
Some care home staff are reportedly refusing to have a Covid jab – with some providers said to be considering not hiring staff who have refused the vaccination on non-medical grounds.
And Charlie Mullins, founder of Pimlico Plumbers, said last month that his company will not take on anybody who has not been vaccinated.
The Telegraph reported that some ministers believe companies which adopt a “jab for a job” stance are protected by health and safety laws.
It quoted a government source as saying: “Health and safety laws say you have to protect other people at work, and when it becomes about protecting other people the argument gets stronger.”
You may also want to watch:
But prime minister Boris Johnson’s official spokesman told a Westminster briefing: “Taking a vaccine is not mandatory and it would be discriminatory to force somebody to take one.”
The government has previously declined to say whether it is recording data on who has refused a coronavirus vaccine.
- 1 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 2 Brexit stripped me of my Britishness
- 3 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 4 What IS the liberal response to the migrant crisis?
- 5 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
- 6 What I learned by avoiding England and the Euros
- 7 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 8 Could southern discomfort sink a rebalancing agenda still in its infancy?
- 9 Boris Johnson enjoys splendid isolation
- 10 The Tories have already lost the culture wars
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.