Number 10 describes EU leak over Brexit talks as 'bollocks'
- Credit: Andrew Parsons/10 Downing Street
A Number 10 insider has denied there has been a breakthrough in Brexit talks - describing leaked reports of a compromise as "bollocks".
Reports suggested the UK had offered a cut of around a third in the amount of fish EU vessels catch in British waters over a five-year period.
That is down from an initial demand to cut it by 60% over three years but the compromise was reportedly rejected by Brussels.
It comes as reports suggest Boris Johnson is in “close contact” with European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen with fresh proposals on fishing rights on the agenda.
According to Politico, the pair were speaking “from time to time given there isn’t long left” until the end of the Brexit transition period next week.
You may also want to watch:
No 10 would not publicly confirm the call or what they discussed.
- 1 Our PM demonstrates why Latin lessons plan is a bad idea
- 2 Boris Johnson’s latest offence shouldn’t be overlooked
- 3 The cannabis conundrum
- 4 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 5 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 6 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 7 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.