Brexiteer criticised for claiming 'lies, damn lies and statistics' behind lockdown decision
- Credit: Parliament Live
A Brexiteer has been met with criticism for saying he will be voting against a second lockdown in the House of Commons.
Peter Bone said that the government's scientific and medical advisers had provided "dubious modelling".
And he hit out at the "lies, damn lies and Covid statistics" he believed were behind the decision for a second national lockdown.
The Tory MP for Wellingborough and Rushden evoke"d an angry response from those who believed he had disregarded the thousands who had died from Covid-19.
"Where can I sign up to your death cult?" enquired Peter Webber in response.
You may also want to watch:
"The only thing that the Tories are immune to is facts," commented Daithí de Paor.
"MP proudly declares he will be voting for death," remarked Dominic Minghella.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 3 Why everyone in rents in Germany
- 4 Government scraps Brexit permits to enter Kent
- 5 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 6 Boris Johnson challenged over 'honesty and integrity' of Jennifer Arcuri claims
- 7 Defence minister Johnny Mercer 'trying to resign' - reports
- 8 No 10 says Johnny Mercer is 'valued' minister as it attempts to stop him resigning
- 9 Plan for White House-style briefings axed despite £2.6m spend on media room
- 10 British fisherman expresses regret over Brexit vote on Danish TV
"This Tory MP voted against a pay rise for nurses, against meals for starving kids, and will vote against public health measures to stop COVID," said Alex Ashman. "We're all just statistics to him."
Pallative care doctor Rachel Clarke wrote: "Our hospital wards & ICUs were largely Covid free until recently. Now cases soaring & patients dying again. These are not lies, or dammed lies, or statistics. They are people. Human beings. And without lockdown, so many more will die."
"He knows it's safe to rebel, because Labour will back the government. He is virtue signalling to the Right", tweeted David Head.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.