Brexiteer criticised for claiming 'lies, damn lies and statistics' behind lockdown decision
- Credit: Parliament Live
A Brexiteer has been met with criticism for saying he will be voting against a second lockdown in the House of Commons.
Peter Bone said that the government's scientific and medical advisers had provided "dubious modelling".
And he hit out at the "lies, damn lies and Covid statistics" he believed were behind the decision for a second national lockdown.
The Tory MP for Wellingborough and Rushden evoke"d an angry response from those who believed he had disregarded the thousands who had died from Covid-19.
"Where can I sign up to your death cult?" enquired Peter Webber in response.
You may also want to watch:
"The only thing that the Tories are immune to is facts," commented Daithí de Paor.
"MP proudly declares he will be voting for death," remarked Dominic Minghella.
- 1 Alastair Campbell warns Boris Johnson 'days away' from agreeing 'terrible' Brexit deal
- 2 David Davis made centre of Brexit jokes following Vodafone rant
- 3 James O'Brien confronts Vote Leave supporters who think Remainers want Brexit to fail
- 4 Brexit need not mean turning away from Europe
- 5 The 20 most influential figures in British politics
- 6 The Remainers who haven't been paying attention
- 7 Nine best tweets trolling Nigel Farage over anti-lockdown post
- 8 Rishi Sunak fails to declare family's wealth in ministerial register, probe finds
- 9 Joe Biden could scrap US-UK travel corridor in favour of one with Ireland
- 10 Dominic Raab leads government calls for 'fresh thinking' from EU over Brexit
"This Tory MP voted against a pay rise for nurses, against meals for starving kids, and will vote against public health measures to stop COVID," said Alex Ashman. "We're all just statistics to him."
Pallative care doctor Rachel Clarke wrote: "Our hospital wards & ICUs were largely Covid free until recently. Now cases soaring & patients dying again. These are not lies, or dammed lies, or statistics. They are people. Human beings. And without lockdown, so many more will die."
"He knows it's safe to rebel, because Labour will back the government. He is virtue signalling to the Right", tweeted David Head.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.