Donald Trump win would be best result for UK, claims Piers Morgan
- Credit: ITV
Piers Morgan has claimed that Donald Trump winning the US election in November would be the best result for the UK.
The Good Morning Britain presenter said that Trump has provided more assurances of a post-Brexit trade deal, and his return to the White House would secure a deal, whereas Democratic rival Joe Biden has given no indication it would be his priority.
Speaking to the Express.co.uk website, the television presenter said Trump winning a second term would be better for the UK, having had close ties to prime minister Boris Johnson.
He said: “I think it would be quite good for a UK trade deal.
“In that sense I would think from Brexit and our trading relationship with the Americans a Trump win would be better.”
Morgan said a Biden victory would be "tricky" for Boris Johnson, especially as a more supportive voice of the European Union.
"It’s going to be tricky because Joe Biden has been pro-European, and I think he will be more supportive of the European Union.
“Plus Boris has been quite critical of the Democrats and of Biden, which would make life a little bit more difficult for him.”
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 Boris Johnson claims Labour supporters using Universal Credit vote to incite hatred
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 8 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 9 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 10 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
But he added that the president losing the White House would not be a disaster for Downing Street, as he conceded that the polls were turning against Trump.
“I think Boris will be able to work with Joe Biden.
“Biden is a very canny, experienced operator who won’t want to have anything but a good relationship with this country.
“But in terms of the European Union I expect he may favour them over us.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.