Donald Trump win would be best result for UK, claims Piers Morgan
- Credit: ITV
Piers Morgan has claimed that Donald Trump winning the US election in November would be the best result for the UK.
The Good Morning Britain presenter said that Trump has provided more assurances of a post-Brexit trade deal, and his return to the White House would secure a deal, whereas Democratic rival Joe Biden has given no indication it would be his priority.
Speaking to the Express.co.uk website, the television presenter said Trump winning a second term would be better for the UK, having had close ties to prime minister Boris Johnson.
He said: “I think it would be quite good for a UK trade deal.
“In that sense I would think from Brexit and our trading relationship with the Americans a Trump win would be better.”
Morgan said a Biden victory would be "tricky" for Boris Johnson, especially as a more supportive voice of the European Union.
"It’s going to be tricky because Joe Biden has been pro-European, and I think he will be more supportive of the European Union.
“Plus Boris has been quite critical of the Democrats and of Biden, which would make life a little bit more difficult for him.”
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 9 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 10 Dominic Cummings dodges £50k in unpaid taxes after decision to 'write off' charges
But he added that the president losing the White House would not be a disaster for Downing Street, as he conceded that the polls were turning against Trump.
“I think Boris will be able to work with Joe Biden.
“Biden is a very canny, experienced operator who won’t want to have anything but a good relationship with this country.
“But in terms of the European Union I expect he may favour them over us.”