Resurfaced video shows Ian Hislop schooling Priti Patel on death penalty
- Credit: Twitter
Footage of Priti Patel being schooled on her support for the death penalty by Ian Hislop has resurfaced on social media.
In the clip from 2011, Patel is seen clashing with Private Eye editor over the use of the death penalty in innocent cases.
Debating the reintroduction of capital punishment on Question Time, Hislop said: "For 50 years, Private Eye has pretty much has in most issues exposed a miscarriage of justice and a lot of them have been murders.
"Over the years, a large number of these cases have been found to be entirely wrong and many of the men and women convicted have been found innocent.
"We would have killed those people and in some cases very high-profile cases involving terrorism cases, we would have made very dangerous new martyrs by executing people who turned out not to have committed the murders involved.
"On a purely practical basis, whatever you think it says about the civilised nature of your society or not, I think it would be incredibly dangerous to have capital punishment back."
Asked if she agreed, Patel said: "I'm not, on the basis, that this is really about our criminal justice system and for any conviction, for example, you need ultimate burden of proof and that means -"
- 1 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 2 The biggest scandal may be that no rules were broken
- 3 The deep-seated issues beneath Sofagate
- 4 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 5 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 6 Welsh government takes Westminster to court over post-Brexit bill
- 7 What's the appeal behind Line of Duty?
- 8 BBC journalist admits being 'haunted' by fear broadcaster 'built up' Nigel Farage and UKIP
- 9 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 10 Alan Duncan should have spoken out sooner about Boris Johnson
Hislop replied: "Are you saying they were guilty, all these people?"
Patel said: "No, I'm not saying they were guilty, obviously.
“The point is, it’s about having deterrents. If you have strong deterrents –“
At this point Hislop once more interrupted with a strong point: "It’s not a deterrent killing the wrong people?"
@Haggis_UK, which posted the clip on Twitter, wrote : "Always worth retweeting Ian Hislop schooling Priti Patel on the death penalty."
One user called Patel "thick as mince" while another said she was "out of her depth in a summer puddle".
Patel's reactions to human rights issues has caused controversy in the past.
The Home Office swiftly removed the video without explanation.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.