Tory MP claims 'beginning of the end' for Boris Johnson
- Credit: PA
Dominic Cummings' departure marks the "beginning of the end" for Boris Johnson, an ally of the prime minister has warned.
According to the Mail on Sunday, supporters of Johnson now fear that the former senior aide will lead to a "guerilla operation" from Cummings causing Brexiteers to destabilise the prime minister to make the way for Rishi Sunak's promotion.
One said: "It's the beginning of the end. Boris has lost the room".
Another backer of Vote Leave claimed: "You can smell it. It's the end of days. It's a story as old as time. The Mad Queen destroys the court."
Another Tory MP claimed that Johnson could end up doing a "Harold Wilson", who privately admitted he had lost enthusiasm for the role, and said he was physically and mentally exhausted.
They said: "Rishi can’t afford to be a long-term chancellor. He can’t go to the Foreign Office, he would just be forgotten.
You may also want to watch:
"He is agitating like fury, Gove sees he’s got one last throw of the dice… Johnson will either go because the party will get spooked or he will do a Harold Wilson and announce he is stepping down."
Johnson has privately claimed that he is planning to resign next year because he cannot live on the £150,000 salary given to him for the job.
- 1 Brexiteer begins swearing after discovering extent of trade between GB and NI
- 2 BBC presenter attracts complaints after calling Brexiteers 'headbangers, zealots and quislings'
- 3 Matt Hancock causes controversy after suggesting swift approval of Pfizer vaccine was due to Brexit
- 4 Twitter users report Nadine Dorries following controversial tweet about the Pfizer vaccine and Brexit
- 5 Michael Gove accused of going 'full Trump' after attacking Good Morning Britain's ratings
- 6 Netherlands causes hilarity with use of Brexit 'monster' to issue warning to citizens
- 7 Michael Gove asked FIVE TIMES to explain what a 'substantial meal' is
- 8 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 9 Brexiteer mocked after dreaming up term to describe Britain's Covid vaccination programme
- 10 Matt Hancock says neighbour awarded Covid work after WhatsApp text went through 'the normal channels'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.