'I don't want to be a part of it' - Labour MP on why she'll defy Keir Starmer over Brexit deal
- Credit: Channel 4 News
A Labour MP has explained why she will defy the party leadership over Boris Johnson's Brexit deal.
Appearing on Channel 4 News, Rupa Huq said she "doesn't want to be a part" of the consequences of voting to support the deal.
"It's a relief that a deal has been done because obviously if you're jumping out of a plane it's better to have some sort of parachute.
"But every economic analysis has shown - from the Treasury's own analysis to think tanks - has shown the economy will shrink.
"We're going to suffer some almighty shocks."
You may also want to watch:
She continued: "I personally think this will be seriously economically damaging and I don't want to be a part of that.
"I would rather the Conservatives own their deal".
- 1 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 7 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 8 George Osborne hopes for Brexit dividend
- 9 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 10 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.