'I don't want to be a part of it' - Labour MP on why she'll defy Keir Starmer over Brexit deal
- Credit: Channel 4 News
A Labour MP has explained why she will defy the party leadership over Boris Johnson's Brexit deal.
Appearing on Channel 4 News, Rupa Huq said she "doesn't want to be a part" of the consequences of voting to support the deal.
"It's a relief that a deal has been done because obviously if you're jumping out of a plane it's better to have some sort of parachute.
"But every economic analysis has shown - from the Treasury's own analysis to think tanks - has shown the economy will shrink.
"We're going to suffer some almighty shocks."
You may also want to watch:
She continued: "I personally think this will be seriously economically damaging and I don't want to be a part of that.
"I would rather the Conservatives own their deal".
- 1 Our PM demonstrates why Latin lessons plan is a bad idea
- 2 Boris Johnson’s latest offence shouldn’t be overlooked
- 3 The cannabis conundrum
- 4 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 5 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 6 Can King Louis turn back the clock?
- 7 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.