Tory MP says he wants to keep Boris Johnson 'honest' and delivering on promises
- Credit: Jessica Taylor/UK Parliament
A Tory MP who signed a letter to Boris Johnson over Covid-19 measures in the north of England said he wants to "keep the prime minister honest" and delivering on his promises.
Simon Fell, the MP for Barrow and Furness, was one of 55 Conservative MPs calling for a roadmap for Northern constituencies out of lockdown.
Speaking to LBC Radio, he explained: "This is about creating a roadmap and we know about this review process, but if we look across the North in particular, we've seen places that have been stuck in this position for a long time. What we need to see is what steps we need and they might have to be tailored to start getting them out of there.
Fell insisted that the group of signatories were "very supportive of Boris" and recognise that he "won the North because he tapped into something".
And he said that the purpose of the letter is about "keeping the prime minister and Number 10 honest" and delivering on promises.
Referencing the voters in his constituency, he explained: "The clear message from my voters to me was they leant me their vote.
You may also want to watch:
"It's about showing we understand the North, and we understand communities like mine have felt left behind - not just for four years but for 40 years.
"We need to start levelling up and what that means is putting the infrastructure in there so that our communities can stand on their own two feet and thrive."
- 1 Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- 2 'The irony': Iain Duncan Smith mocked following 'honesty with the public' remark about Rishi Sunak
- 3 Commons speaker delivers blistering attack on government following leak of latest lockdown information
- 4 Transport boss calls government's handling of Brexit border proceedings a 'complete shambles'
- 5 British actors barred from applying for role of young Prince William due to Brexit
- 6 Brexiteer Claire Fox defends public sector pay freeze saying workers are 'not the only heroes'
- 7 The Remainers who haven't been paying attention
- 8 Nine best tweets trolling Nigel Farage over anti-lockdown post
- 9 Rishi Sunak fails to declare family's wealth in ministerial register, probe finds
- 10 Joe Biden could scrap US-UK travel corridor in favour of one with Ireland
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.