Brexiteer claims more UK politicians should echo Donald Trump after US election result
- Credit: BBC
A Brexiteer has claimed that more British politicians should be like Donald Trump after the US election result showed the president performing better than expected in the polls.
Simon Wolfson, the pro-Brexit boss of Next, said Trump's success should be a "wake-up call" to politicians here.
He told Question Time: “It does amaze me that Trump has done so well, and I think the question you’ve got to ask is really about the political class in America, and potentially about our own political class.
“The answer, I think, comes down to the lack of connection between the political class and what people are thinking.
“Part of that, I think, is that we have moved into a world where people just aren’t prepared to speak their mind – there’s just this lack of authenticity.”
You may also want to watch:
Wolfson said he would not vote for Trump personally, given the choice, but he said "love him or hate him" the president is "speaking his mind".
He continued: “He doesn’t care what he says, he doesn’t care about the consequences.
- 1 Public give hilarious reaction to Brexiteer's tweet on Project Fear
- 2 'The irony': Iain Duncan Smith mocked following 'honesty with the public' remark about Rishi Sunak
- 3 Commons speaker delivers blistering attack on government following leak of latest lockdown information
- 4 Transport boss calls government's handling of Brexit border proceedings a 'complete shambles'
- 5 British actors barred from applying for role of young Prince William due to Brexit
- 6 Brexiteer Claire Fox defends public sector pay freeze saying workers are 'not the only heroes'
- 7 The Remainers who haven't been paying attention
- 8 Nine best tweets trolling Nigel Farage over anti-lockdown post
- 9 Rishi Sunak fails to declare family's wealth in ministerial register, probe finds
- 10 Joe Biden could scrap US-UK travel corridor in favour of one with Ireland
“I think that overly-cautious approach that political classes around the world are beginning to take, and the sort of half-answers that they are forced to give, means that people like Trump can suddenly breakthrough because they’re prepared to speak their mind.
“I think it has to be a wake-up call to our own political class to say ‘come on, speak your mind, stop following the party line, stop just saying what you think you want us to hear. Tell us what you really think.”
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.