UK has highest Covid-19 death rate in world
- Credit: PA
The UK's Covid-19 death rate is now the highest in the world.
New data revealed that the UK is averaging 935 daily deaths - the equivalent of more than 16 people in every million dying each day.
The figures have been produced by the University of Oxford's research platform Our World in Data, which shows that no other country matches the rate of deaths per capita.
The Czech Republic had previously held the top spot for the last week, with new seven-day averages showing the UK's was now the highest in the world.
The UK's death toll of 89,261 overall is the highest in Europe and across the globe is only just behind the US, Brazil, India and Mexico without taking into account populations per country.
You may also want to watch:
Max Roser, a researcher from Our World in Data, said that quicker action at earlier stages in the pandemic kept numbers down elsewhere.
“The last Covid death in New Zealand was in mid-September,” he pointed out as he tweeted the last set of results.
- 1 Brexit damage already exceeds cost of EU membership
- 2 Will Alex Salmond scythe down Nicola Sturgeon and indyref2?
- 3 Macron has a lot to lose... but a whole continent to gain
- 4 EU drops vote to ratify Brexit deal after Boris Johnson 'violates' agreement
- 5 Windrush 2 is looming as Brexit reality bites
- 6 Mitch Benn's Diary: Stop reading this and go and eat some fish for Britain
- 7 My very undiplomatic comments about Boris Johnson
- 8 Boris Johnson: Liar of the land
- 9 Government plans £30bn cut in NHS day-to-day spending from April
- 10 History repeats itself with illusions of 'freedom'
Twitter user James Felton remarked: "Are we allowed to make international comparisons yet or is that still just for vaccines?"
Piers Morgan tweeted: "A horrifying, heart-breaking, appalling fact that shames our country and our government".
Palliative care doctor Rachel Clarke said: "World-beating, in the most wretched, grim and unforgivable way imaginable. I’m incandescent".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.