Dawn French reveals she dumped ex-boyfriend because he was a Tory
- Credit: PA
Dawn French has revealed she dumped an ex-boyfriend after discovering he was a Tory.
The Vicar of Dibley actress opened up about her split with Lenny Henry in 2010 after realising "something wasn't right".
French, 63, told the How To Wow podcast: "I did have a nice time with one chap. He was quite posh.
"I thought, 'I can’t go any further, I can’t think what it is, you’re attractive, I’ve got the right underwear on'. I worked out what it was. He was a Tory!"
The actress is back in the spotlight this week after catching the ire of former UKIP leader Gerard Batten who claimed her Vicar of Dibley character symbolised "satanism".
In a tweet on Sunday, Batten wrote: "Please retweet this. Dawn French, the BBC's Vicar of Dibley wears an upside down cross. This is a symbol of Satanism. This isn’t a prop depart mistake. This is what we are forced to pay the License Fee for. DEFUND the BBC!"
You may also want to watch:
He was swiftly mocked on Twitter.
One user posted: "I can’t believe I’m seeing this. Batten, maybe it’s time to retire from...whatever it is you do."
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 5 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 6 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 7 The polling that signals the plight of the Union
- 8 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
- 9 Scottish fishing boats ditch UK waters for Denmark to escape Brexit red tape
- 10 Brexiteer rebuked after backing Nigel Farage's 'East Germany' claims
Alliance Party leader Naomi Long wrote: "Wait until he finds out that Dawn French isn't actually a vicar, but an actor..."
Another said: "Blimey! You've gone full fruitcake! Judging by some of the replies here at least fruitcakes will be plentiful after Brexit."
French will return to our screens this Christmas as the Vicar of Dibley after a 26-year hiatus.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.