WATCH: ‘Dancing around the truth’ – Judges mark May out of 10
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The assembled journalists in Birmingham gasped as Theresa May danced towards the podium for her conference speech.
From a leader who answers questions with stock quotes and robotic phrases it was something of a shock.
She did achieve something of course: She managed to get the nation talking about her conference speech, even if it was the jig rather than the words.
But then, as journalist Kevin Maguire told Good Morning Britain, 'she would prefer us to talk about the dance than the contents of her speech'.
Writing in Daily Mirror Jason Beattie wrote: 'Theresa May waltzed on to the stage, and then spent the next hour dancing around the truth.'
You may also want to watch:
But the Times leader was kinder saying: 'It was not her usual robotic performance. We need to see more of this.'
And the Sun loved it: 'She began with Dancing Queen, delivered some good news on Money, Money, Money and invited us to Take A Chance On Me.'
Read The New European's view on the speech here.
- 1 Why can't the English see what the Scots and Welsh can?
- 2 A view from inside the Heathrow petri dish
- 3 Is the end finally nigh for EU's most notorious leader?
- 4 Labour should never have swallowed the Brexit pill
- 5 Boris Johnson is making the UK a laughing stock
- 6 Could Mexican Coke spark a new Coca-Cola cold war?
- 7 Scotland ‘united against the fascists’ after far-right candidates rejected
- 8 The reverse Midas touch of Michael Gove
- 9 Angela Rayner sacked as Labour Party chair following poor election results
- 10 Labour claims ‘extraordinary results’ in Welsh Parliament election
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.