Who is Carrie Symonds? Spin doctor who has ‘grown close’ to Boris Johnson
- Credit: Archant
Carrie Symonds was one of Tory Party's top communications staff.
But just weeks ago she quit her role unexpectedly as rumours of a growing friendship with Boris Johnson began to swirl around Westminster.
Party-loving Ms Symonds has been a regular on the Tory nightlife scene for several years and is well liked by MPs and other Tory staffers.
It is believed the 30-year-old's friendship with Johnson has been growing for some time. It has been reported that Johnson's long-suffering wife Marina Wheeler – who stood by him after a string of affairs – finally kicked him out after finding a stash of text messages from Ms Symonds.
Sources close to Ms Wheeler have said she was planning on releasing details of her discovery just before Conservative Party conference later this month in a bid to scupper Johnson's leadership aspirations.
You may also want to watch:
Instead it appears backers of the prime minister's Brexit plan – which Johnson vehemently opposes – leaked the rumours first.
Sources said the pair have 'grown even closer' since Johnson's marriage collapsed.
- 1 Michael Gove asked FIVE TIMES to explain what a 'substantial meal' is
- 2 BBC presenter attracts complaints after calling Brexiteers 'headbangers, zealots and quislings'
- 3 Michael Gove accused of going 'full Trump' after attacking Good Morning Britain's ratings
- 4 British expats seethe at post-Brexit travel restrictions
- 5 Keir Starmer mocks Tory heckler who said he was speaking in 'hindsight' with prediction
- 6 Brexiteer claims it will be '25 years' before UK gets sovereignty back
- 7 Netherlands causes hilarity with use of Brexit 'monster' to issue warning to citizens
- 8 Brexiteer mocked after dreaming up term to describe Britain's Covid vaccination programme
- 9 Scotland should 'aim to rejoin EU in full' after Brexit, SNP told
- 10 Michael Gove tells Piers Morgan boycotting GMB had been 'good advice'
Ms Symonds grew up in East Sheen, London, and attended £20,000-a-year Godolphin and Latymer School. She had previously worked for home secretary Sajid Javid, John Whittingdale and Zac Goldsmith.
A Westminster source said: 'I'd heard the rumours. But then there are often rumours about Boris and not all of them can be true. Carrie was well-liked in Westminster. A good operator.
'She liked a party as well. She works hard but is a lot of fun to be around when she lets her hair down. I'm told they have really grown close in recent weeks since the split.'
Ms Symonds has now taken a job with Bloomberg working on promoting cleaner oceans.
Johnson's spokesman said: 'Boris never discusses anything to do with his private life.'
Ms Symonds was unavailable for comment.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.