Former Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson encouraged to take Holyrood role
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Former Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson is being encouraged to return to frontline politics in a move that would take her to Holyrood.
Last month The Press and Journal claimed that Scottish Liberal Democrat leader Willie Rennie was planning to step down to allow the former East Dunbartonshire MP to take the job.
But Rennie dismissed the reports, but said he was trying to entice Swinson to run in next year's Scottish elections.
He told the PA news agency: I would love to see Jo come to the Scottish parliament, I think she's talented. I was keen to encourage her to stay involved and for her to consider the Scottish parliament as one of those options.
'She's not made her mind up about that but I think she's talented and would be great to have. It's too early for her to leave the political scene; I hope she does do it [stand for Holyrood].'
You may also want to watch:
Rennie said that he has no intention of quitting as leader of the Scottish Lib Dems, despite next year marking his tenth year as leader.
He said: 'Anybody who has been leader for nine years would look at a ten-year period to look at what they're going to do next, but I've got no intention of standing down.
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
'This is a big opportunity, for somebody who has been around in politics for a while now, just to try to shape things to be a little bit different.'
Jo Swinson is yet to make a decision on her future, he added.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.