Record majority now think Brexit was the wrong decision
- Credit: Empics Entertainment
A new poll has found that fewer than four in 10 Britons believe the UK was right to vote to leave the EU.
Just 38% believe the Brexit decision was the right choice, with nearly half of the country (49%) believing it was the wrong decision.
The 11% gap is the widest recorded by pollsters YouGov in a regular series of monthly surveys for the Times, while the number believing Brexit was right is at its lowest and those seeing it as wrong at its highest.
Virtually every poll in the sequence since the summer of 2017 has found a majority believing that the wrong decision was made in the EU referendum of 2016.
The results came as MPs were embroiled in five days of debate over the EU withdrawal deal reached by the prime minister in Brussels.
You may also want to watch:
The poll found just 23% of those questioned support Theresa May's Brexit deal, against 46% who oppose it.
But the Conservatives remain ahead in terms of voting intention, on 40%, compared with Labour's 38% and 9% for the Liberal Democrats.
- 1 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 2 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 3 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 4 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 5 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 6 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 7 My favourite new Freedom is avoiding selfish anti-maskers
- 8 A very nearly enchanted evening
- 9 What IS the liberal response to the migrant crisis?
- 10 Telling the truth is now the only sackable offence
Some 35% said May was best choice for prime minister, against 24% for Labour's Jeremy Corbyn and 37% opting for neither.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.