YouGov polling expert has hopeful prediction for those who want to stop Tories
- Credit: Archant
A polling mastermind has given a message of hope to those who want to stop the Conservatives.
Speaking on the BBC's Politics Live, political research manager Chris Curtis said: "When you look at the numbers you kind of feels like the Tories might have run out of voters to squeeze."
Curtis has worked at the polling group YouGov for more than four years.
Responding to the latest available polling information, Curtis said: "I agree that the [Conservative] lead has been fairly static but actually when you look at the underlying numbers there's been a fair bit of movement.
"But what we've seen is both the Tories and Labour going up so far at about the same rates.
You may also want to watch:
"The Tories have done a fairly good job at gaining back those Leave voters.
"Labour has done a fairly good job at squeezing back those Remain voters particularly back from the Liberal Democrats and from the Green Party.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
- 8 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 9 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 10 Dominic Cummings dodges £50k in unpaid taxes after decision to 'write off' charges
"Now hear I think it the question for the next week and a half we've got left."
Curtis previously made a prediction about the Brexit Party's decision to not stand in 317 seats, claiming it will only hurt the Tories.
YouGov has predicted that the Conservatives will get a majority in the December 12 election, however, Curtis seems to suggest Labour could see another rise in the polls if they can 'squeeze' undecided voters or those from other parties.
READ MORE: YouGov polling expert makes surprise prediction about impact of Brexit Party announcementOn Politics Live, Curtis continued: "Actually there's still a lot more voters for Labour to potentially squeeze so then question left for the rest of the campaign is firstly, can Labour squeeze them and is there enough time left to continue to squeeze them, close that gap and push into hung Parliament territory?"
Later in the show Curtis also said: "The other thing as well, we're not talking about is it going to be a Labour majority or a Tory majority.
"What we're really talking about it are the Conservatives going to get a majority or not given that most of the other parties in parliament are probably not going to support a Boris Johnson government."
He explained the Tories have a lead of "about 6%" ahead of Labour who "could close the gap".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.