How to make pierogi (stuffed potato dumplings)
PUBLISHED: 09:32 12 October 2016 | UPDATED: 09:32 12 October 2016
Jack Monroe shares her recipe for Polish stuffed potato dumplings
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism
200g self-raising flour, plus
extra for dusting
few pinches of salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
120ml warm water
1. first sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle. add the salt, oil and water and mix to form a soft dough.
2. Tip onto a floured worktop and knead for a few minutes until smoother. Cover and set to one side.
3. Drain and rinse the sauerkraut and pop it in to a pan of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer for 20 mins.
4. Finely chop the mushrooms and sling into a frying pan with the butter. Drain the sauerkraut and add it to the pan, and cook gently for 5 minutes to soften.
5. Roll the pastry out to around 3mm thick and cut into rounds. iuse the top of a pint glass for mine, but any large pastry cutter will do.Dollop a generous teaspoon of the mushroom-sauerkraut mix into the centre of each. fold and press the edges together with a fork.
6. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add your pierogi. Cook for 4 minutes, or until they float. remove with a slotted spoon, and serve with soured cream or thick natural yoghurt, and chopped herbs.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.Become a supporter