Judge set to decide whether to summon Boris Johnson to face prosecution over £350m-a-week claim

PUBLISHED: 14:11 23 May 2019 | UPDATED: 14:16 23 May 2019

Boris Johnson before he boards the Vote Leave campaign bus in Truro, Cornwall. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA.

Boris Johnson before he boards the Vote Leave campaign bus in Truro, Cornwall. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA.

PA Archive/PA Images

A judge is set to decide on whether or not Boris Johnson will be summonsed to court to face accusations of misconduct in public office over claims he was lying when he said the UK gave the EU £350 million a week.

Become a Supporter

The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism

Lawyers representing Marcus Ball lodged an application at Westminster Magistrates' Court to summons Johnson as part of a private prosecution against the former foreign secretary.

Lewis Power QC, representing Ball, told the court on Thursday that Johnson had deliberately misled the public during the Brexit referendum campaign in 2016 and then repeated the statement during the 2017 general election.

He said: "Democracy demands responsible and honest leadership from those in public office. The conduct of the proposed defendant Boris Johnson was both irresponsible and dishonest. It was, we say, criminal."

Power said the prosecution's application was not brought to undermine the result of the Brexit referendum, and was not about what could have been done with the saved money.

He added: "The allegation with which this prosecution is concerned, put simply, is Mr Johnson repeatedly misrepresented the amount that the UK sends to Europe each week.

"It is concerned with one infamous statement: 'We send the EU £350 million a week.'

You may also want to watch:

"The UK has never sent, given or provided £350 million a week to Europe - that statement is simply not ambiguous.

"The prosecution is not about Brexit, the only relevance to Brexit is that it was during the Brexit referendum Mr Johnson chose to mislead the public."

Johnson was not in court for the hearing, but Adrian Darbishire, representing the MP, said his client denies acting dishonestly.

He added: "I should make it clear that because of the interest in this case that it is absolutely denied by Mr Johnson that he acted in an improper or dishonest manner at any time."

Before the hearing, Ball said: "This case is a world first, it has never happened before.

"A member of parliament has never been prosecuted for misconduct in public office based upon alleged lying to the public.

"My backers and I aspire to set a precedent in the UK common law making it illegal for an elected representative to lie to the public about financial matters."

He has previously said he raised more than £370,000 across several crowdfunding campaigns to finance the case.

District Judge Margot Coleman said she would provide her decision in writing to the parties on Wednesday May 29.

Become a Supporter

The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.

Become a supporter

You've seen the news, now discover the story

The New European is committed to providing in-depth analysis of the Brexit process, its implications and progress as well as celebrating European life.

Try 13 weeks for £13

Latest Articles

Most Read

latest issue

ANTI-BREXIT EVENTS

Find your nearest anti-Brexit campaigning activities, talks, protests and events nationwide.

Newsletter Sign Up

The New European weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy