Trump is invited to Paris, investor confidence grows in Greece and cladding concerns in Germany
President Emmanuel Macron has invited US President Donald Trump to a Bastille Day celebration next month to celebrate the arrival 100 years ago of the American troops who fought alongside the French during the First World War. The invitation to Mr Trump and first lady Melania Trump was extended on Tuesday during a telephone conversation to prepare for the two leaders’ meeting during the G20 summit in Germany next month, an official from the presidential Elysee Palace said. France celebrates Bastille Day with a military parade down the Champs-Elysees every July 14. The White House is examining the feasibility of a Paris visit, the official said. The two leaders also discussed the need for a common response in case of a chemical attack in Syria.
The country is on target to regain access to bond markets by the end of the year and exit the bailout programme next summer. Officials from the European Commission, European Central Bank and a eurozone rescue fund said a major round of austerity cuts and reforms approved by Greece’s parliament several weeks ago provided the country a ‘real opportunity’ for the country public finances to recover. Greek bond yields have tumbled since the latest cuts were passed, a sign of greater investor confidence in the country, and the government reached an agreement with creditors to restart loan instalments.
An 11-storey apartment block has been cleared because of concerns over exterior insulation similar to that of Grenfell Tower. City authorities in Wuppertal said the fire risk at the building had been reassessed following the fire in London that killed at least 79 people. It said replacement accommodation is available for the residents and they can return to their apartments once the insulation is removed. In all, 72 people are believed to be affected. Aluminium composite panels used as exterior cladding are believed to have rapidly spread the fire in London on June 14, trapping residents in their homes before firefighters could save them.
The Dutch government is partially liable for the deaths of some 300 Muslim men murdered by Bosnian Serb forces in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre, an appeals court has ruled. The ruling largely upheld a civil court’s 2014 judgment that said the state was liable in the deaths of the Bosnian Muslim men who were turned over by Dutch UN peacekeepers to Bosnian Serb forces in July 1995 and subsequently killed. Hague Appeals Court presiding judge Gepke Dulek says that because Dutch soldiers sent the men off the Dutch compound along with other refugees seeking shelter there, ‘they were deprived of the chance of survival’. The men were among around 8,000 Muslim men and boys killed by Bosnian Serb forces in Europe’s worst massacre since the Second World War. The court estimated the men’s chances of survival if they had stayed in the Dutch compound at around 30%. ‘The state is therefore liable for 30% of the losses suffered by the relatives,’ the court said in a statement.